Wee Care 4 Gardens, Too
In this frantic world that we live in, even our kids need something to ground them; something that can help them deal with the anxiety that even we, as adults, must deal with. At Darlene’s Wee Care 4 Kids daycare, we’ve implemented gardening in our mindfulness curriculum and our “Calm Down Corner.” (We’ll tell you more about that corner later.) Gardens and children are a natural match.
Ten reasons to garden with kids:
- Gardening engages all five senses.
- Gardening encourages healthy eating.
- Gardening enhances fine motor development.
- Gardening is science. It teaches them about the life cycle.
- Gardening is a great family activity.
- Gardening teaches responsibility. Making sure the plants get enough fertilizer, water, and sun fosters mindfulness.
- Gardening helps kids learn to plan and organize.
- Gardening allows for team building and promotes communication skills.
- Gardening improves children’s moods and decreases anxiety.
- Gardening gives kids a sense of purpose. It can develop in kids a deep respect and responsibility for taking care of our planet earth.
In this electronic age, kids need time for meaningful connections, especially with fellow family members. We, at Darlene’s Wee Care 4 Kids daycare, understand children are curious. They like to learn by doing, and love to play in the dirt. Working in a garden, a child can experience the satisfaction that comes from caring for something over time, while observing the cycle of life firsthand. That’s an important life skill, one that is overlooked in standard school curriculums. That’s why we’ve created an opportunity for kids to learn and grow through gardening, engaging their natural curiosity and wonder.
Photos of some of our Playful Pandas and Busy Bees